12/14/11

The Dark Half, 1993 / Trick r’ Treat, 2007 / Dracula, 1931


31. The Dark Half, 1993 /  Trick r’ Treat, 2007 / Dracula, 1931

Alright Halloween night, watching horror movies and drinking and eating chips with -mo, and I wish we had candy corn and more things, but I’m so buying candy November 1st!
Lets start!

The Dark Half, was all kinds of boring! I wish I had the Stephen King Movie Adaptation Drinking Game at hand, we were just drinking like random and then we ran out of booze before we were half done with the movie. But yeah, the special effects were dated and the dialog was so forgettable I don’t remember anything BUT the police enforcement of that movie was particularly shitty and stupid. I can’t believe this was a Stephens King story AND directed by George A. Romero.

P.S. The story is about a writer (of course), and he’s confronted to sign a book with his pen-name, the photo on the back of the book is Stephen King himself.

Moving on!

Trick r’ Treat was FUCKING AWESOME, entertaining and fun and stuff.

The scares were fun and the story was creative and while it was at sometimes predictable, it was still very amusing and cool and I know I’m not making a lot of sense right now but it was fucking great, it reminded me a lot of Creepshow (a well done King/Romero project), the same feeling of good fun horror.

If you haven’t seen it, give it a watch, Halloween is the perfect time to watch this film. You can also go for it on Dia de Muertos on November 2nd.

P.S. Most of the Jack O’ Lanterns were made out of either foam or ceramic. An on-set joke was that no pumpkins were harmed during the making of this movie.

Last one (of the month)!

Dracula! Fuck yes Bela Lugosi kicks so much ass. It is now a tradition of mine to watch this movie every year in October, and I always watch the original version, two years ago I watched it on VHS, last year I watched it with Cinemassacre’s commentary on DVD, and this year I watched the one with the Philip Glass soundtrack.

I love this movie a lot, every time I watch it I notice something new and feels different with each ‘version’ I watch.

There is not a lot I am going to say about this movie, other than, if you haven’t seen it, be sure to check it out.


P.S. I know a bunch of trivia about this movie and I don’t know what to say!
Let’s see… Here’s something, Lugosi wasn’t the first choice to play the part of Dracula, Lon Chaney was considered for the title role, but he died of throat cancer, then there were a bunch of other actors such as John Wray, Conrad Veidt, among others, Lugosi fought for the role he had mastered on stage, so he agreed to a contract paying him $500 per week for a seven week shooting. This was a small amount even during the days of the Depression. But still, he is Dracula and will always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment